I have to admit, I was a little excited about our very first book week parade this year!
I asked Mimsy what her favourite book was. It was a toss up between 'that giant book' (The BFG, which for the record she has a love/hate relationship with!) and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
The dress is made using a gorgeous pattern from The Pattern Studio by 1 Puddle Lane. I can't wait to make some more of them, Mimsy has already asked for a spotty one and one with flowers please!
The wings were made free hand and very roughly! This is what I did:
1. Cut a wing shape from the folded over tie dyed fabric
2. Overlocked the outside
3. My sparkly fabric was smaller and a long shape, so I gathered it up, matched the centre of the sparkly fabric to the wings and zig zagged it on
4. Zig zagged the top corners of the sparkly fabric to the top corners of the wings (I didn't sew it all down, so it gives a bit of a floaty layered feel)
5. Added a figure of eight of elastic to the inside middle part of the wings so that Mimsy could loop it over each arm
6. Added two loops on the top corners of the wings to go around Mimsy's wrists.
I could have spent much more time on the wings, making perfect ones that matched. But, I have a three year old who wanted to be involved in making them, so I went with simple. The sewing took me 10 minutes, and Mimsy loves them.
What did you child dress up as for Book Week?